I made a box as one of the finishing touches for the restoration of J & H Tracy parasol. I had a few photos of original nineteenth-century parasol boxes to use as reference (Alas, I’ve only seen three or four in the four or five years I’ve researched, their survival rate is vanishingly small.) and constructed the box using framing mat cardboard. After gluing the pieces together, the edges and corners were finished with strips of paper, to give it a neat, completed appearance. I lined the interior with pale pink tissue paper (it’s not really visible here, unfortunately.) as a nod to the pale-colored papers that became popular towards the end of the 1860s.
I also used that Jay’s label I posted a while back. I had to change the street numbers as they weren’t correct for the store for the period the parasol was made, and I had to correct a silly punctuation mistake I made.