More ideas for using the two vintage Indian silk saris that arrived yesterday. This particular one I ordered as I liked these scalloped stripes on the pallu of the sari. I could see pinking them out and using them on an 1850s bone folder in a telegram-type treatment. The idea in using these on nineteenth-century frames would be that the finished product would say “I’m a woven en disposition silk cover from the 1850s” rather than saying “Hi, I’m a sari fabric.” But who knows.
A while back I ordered some vintage Indian silk saris with the idea of using them for parasol covers - they arrived today from Mumbai and this one I already have one (of many) ideas for. I just need the parasol frames to execute them on.
The (admittedly very light) sketch and its resulting bit of frippery that I did as a present to a good friend a while back, based on nineteenth century examples, and kind of adapted with bits of turquoise and French Jet (or, black glass.). The finished product is shown in a fitted box I also made for the piece.
Sketch for an eventual pen-and-ink-and-watercolor “sampler” type idea that I want to do for my own place. It’s Regretsy-inspired. It was also freehand, so that accounts for the slight wonkiness and perhaps, inconsistencies in the ornamentation within the letters themselves.
In the absence of any REAL drawing, here’s an unfinished sketch I did while in South Carolina last week - I was going for a mid-late 1870s look (I’m still learning the slim-lined post-bustle look when it comes to drawing it) but I think I went a bit overboard with the van-dyked mantle. Harumph.